Ultem® is the brand name of an amorphous thermoplastic polyetherimide (PEI) made by Sabic Innovative Plastics and consists of the 1000 and 2000 series resins.
The 1000 series is made of translucent amber and has exceptional mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties. The 2000 series has glass fiber reinforcement gives it increased tensile strength, rigidity, and improved dimensional stability.
Benefits for PEI thermoplastics
- Long-term heat resistance: excellent physical and mechanical properties at elevated temperatures
- Strength and stiffness: predictable stiffness and strength up to 200C
- Dimensional stability: predictable dimensional stability over a wide temperature range, and filled grades offer even high stability tolerances.
- Environmental stress and cracking resistance: great resistance even with exposure to automotive or aircraft fluids, aliphatic hydrocarbons, alcohols, acids, and weak aqueous solutions.
- Processability: its’ properties make it easily processable and molded using extrusion, thermoforming, extrusion blow molding, and injection molding.
Who is Sabic Innovative Plastics?
They are among the world’s largest petrochemical manufacturers and are headquartered in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. They have a large technology and innovations divisions which allows they to stay on top or ahead of current trends and needs. With global offices they are constantly contributing to the ongoing development of new patents and certifications.
If you would like to learn more about Ultem or Polyetherimide (PEI) plastics for your next project, contact the team at Plastifab for more information.